If you have been in a car accident, it can be easy to be overwhelmed by the shock of the crash and thus forget what you must get at the accident scene.
You may wish to carry a list of what you need to do if you get in an accident scene. This information is necessary for you to process an insurance claim. It is also necessary should you have legal basis to sue the person who caused the accident.
Here’s a list of the six important items of information that you need at the accident scene. If you have been injured, it may be possible for someone else to obtain this information for you.
- Date, time, and location of the accident. This should also include a note about the weather and the conditions of the road.
- Obtain the other driver’s name, address, phone number, email, driver’s license number, and the driver’s insurance information, including a contact at the other person’s agency, the policy number, and a phone number to call. Get the name and contact information of all passengers in both your car and the other person’s car.
- If possible, obtain photographs of the scene, the cars in question, any injuries sustained, the way that material items have been shaken on the inside of the car.
- Get the name, address, and other contact information of any and all witnesses.
- Get the name of the responding police officer, the police case number which is how your accident will be recorded, the location and phone number of the police department, and a listing of any tickets that have been issued.
- Obtain the make, model, vehicle ID number, and license plate number for the other car.
Personal Injury Law: Contact The Pryor Law Firm
The Pryor Law Firm maintains offices in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Nassau County. We handle personal injury cases exclusively on a contingency fee basis (meaning you pay no fee unless we recover compensation for you), and we can visit you or your loved one at home or at a hospital if travel is too difficult. To contact us for confidential advice following a serious injury or fatal accident, submit our online contact form or call 212-222-8444 in Manhattan, 718-773-1700 in Brooklyn or 516-741-8100 in Nassau County.
To learn more about our effectiveness, visit our results page
Firm founder Kenneth A. Pryor is a member of the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Mr. Pryor is an experienced trial lawyer who teaches trial skills as an adjunct law school professor. Our firm can provide the knowledgeable and experienced legal representation you need.
+Disclaimer: The above case results are samples of some of the verdicts and settlements that were obtained through the efforts of Kenneth A. Pryor during his career as lead counsel or co-counsel and the results were dependent on the specific facts of each individual case. Prior results are no guarantee of a similar outcome or future success. Each case is unique and the final outcome of negotiations or trial is never guaranteed. In some cases, the verdicts may have been reduced by a court or settled by the parties for a lesser amount.